As I mentioned last week berry/burgundy is a big color this fall and it doesn’t stop at clothing. Berry lips are huge – totally the new red. Luckily for me, I’m well supplied. I officially gave up on red lips last year. I could never find the right shade and it really accentuated the pink undertones in my skin. The only way I could really get away with it is if I literally masked myself in foundation, which is awful and looks so unnatural. Instead, a deep berry lip complements my skin a little better and still allows me to wear a darker color without feeling like a clown. I have a few different berry shades in my makeup bag, each with a different pigmentation so its easy to mix it up depending on the occasion/outfit I’m wearing etc. And guess what? They are all affordable, which is totally awesome.
1. Maybelline Baby Lips in Grape Vine: a subtle, sheer, grape, lip balm that give a hint of color and is also a great base to layer your lipstick/stain on.
2. NYC Smooch Proof 16Hour Lip Stain in Berry Long Time: I think lip stains rock. They give you a richer color without having to worry about getting it on your teeth or rubbing off in general. This one is a light berry color that you can build up.
3. NYC Smooch Proof 16Hour Lip Stain in Forever Mine Wine: A darker, deeper, wine color that is super easy to apply and has staying power.
4. Sephora Collection Rouge Shine Lipstick in No. 12 Guest List – Shimmer – toasted almond with iridescent shimmer:This one goes on sheerer and you can build it up. It also has a glossy finish.
5. Sephora Collection Rouge Cream Lipstick in Crush 23 – deep reddish plum : This one is highly pigmented and is more matte (definitely make sure you’ve prepped your lips with lip balm beforehand).
Other options are: Cover Girl lip perfection in Euphoria * Maybelline ColorSensational Lip Gloss, Plum Luster * L’Oreal Colour Riche LeGloss Lip Gloss, Blushing Berry * Maybelline ColorSensational Lipcolor, Blissful Berry or Plum Perfect
If you are a little scared of the berry lip – go for berry/burgundy nails, or a mauve/plum blush: Almay Smart Shade Blush For Cheeks, Berry 030 * Wet n Wild Color Icon Blusher Pressed Powder, Berry Shimmer 834E * e.l.f. Studio Blush, Berry Merry * ESSIE NAIL COLOR polish, decadent dish * ORLY DARK SHADOWS Nail Lacquer, Grave Mistake
If you are a little daring – try some berry/burgundy eye shadow: Milani Metallic Baked Eyeshadow, Pink Twice 601 * L’Oreal Wear Infinite Studio Secrets Eyeshadow Quad, Subtle Berries 504 * L’Oreal HiP Studio Secrets Professional Concentrated Shadow Duo, Cheeky 508